SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

My Pella screen door will not stay open

A home owner from Decatur, Mi says:
I have a 4 year old Pella Architectural Series sliding patio door. The screen will not stay in the open position. What is the problem?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. The first thing to do would be to check to see if your patio screen door has a return spring attached to it, like our 86-021. Pella screen doors have this spring feature so that the Patio screen door will close automatically. I believe you just have to disconect it from the top of the door.
A home owner from ny says:
I have a similar problem. 10 year old pella glass door and screen door. Both glass and screen door slide smoothly. The screen door will not stay open. When the screen door is slid to the maximum open position it does not stay there, it goes back to the closed position. This is a pain because everytime you want to go through the door you have to open both the screen and glass door. I have an identical second setup where the screen does stay open. (So I could compare the two). The door does have the return spring and it is attached. Any thoughts?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
If you have a Pella door, then you have to detach the spring from the door in order for it to stay open. After all, the spring is what makes the door close!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)