SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

My closet door keeps falling off the track. Why?

A quick learner says:
I have a closet with 3 sliding doors which are 42 width, 93 length, 1 3/8 thick. They were installed about 30 years ago. We have replaced the rollers but the doors continue to fall off the track. I notice when I tried rolling one of the doors it would rub against the top of the other door or some times both doors would move at the same time and end up coming off the track.
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! Sounds like you have the wrong sized rollers. If they're rubbing on the top, I'd guess that they're too large. You also say that the doors rub against each other, which sounds like the roller housings are too thick. The housings are probably what is rubbing and causing both doors to move at the same time. Do you still have your original rollers on hand?
A quick learner says:
Yes, I do have the original rollers on hand. They are the same size as the new rollers that were replace.
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us. In that case, the problem is likely with the track. Now, I don't know if we have the exact same track as you do, but we do have a 23-503 2 Door Sliding Closet Door Track Set. It would need to be cut to fit a 93" opening, and it also only has two track runs, while I believe you mentioned having three doors.
A quick learner says:
Yes I have three doors. Two doors on one track and one door on the other track. So the Door Sliding Closet Door Track 23-503 holds all three doors about 180 pounds total weight.

So would this be the track I would need? If so, how long will it take to be delivered after my order has been placed?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
What you can do is try to install two of these 23-503 double tracks and only use three of the four that would then be available. Would that work out for you?
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)