SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Mystery handleset, came with the home upon move in, deficient.

A home owner from Wilmington, Ca says:
Hello, my name is Margaret Caceres. The home I moved into was built in the early 80s. I moved here in the 90s and it was already broken. I'd tried ordering the Mortise style handle set (83-025) and while the dimensions match exact the internal fork mechanism isn't sufficiently catching the prong.After installing this new equipment it wouldn't open or close the lock. It looks very similar in appearance however. I have sent pictures of the OE (original equipment)and was hoping you could assist in this effort. Thank you so much!
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! I don't think the 82-025 is what you need in this case. it does look similar, but from what your post says it sounds like the key issue is with the forked activator. Can you show me that part on your original handle?
A professional from California says:
The original handle was slightly wider. The replacement is meant to accommodate both single and dual glazed doors. It sits a little further out from the glass. I have been able to get this to work by bending the far end of the fork inward. You must also make sure that the fork is centered over the small pin inside the door frame. If it is above or below, it will either lock the door or unlock it, but not both. In fact that may be the actual problem. I also notice you are missing the bottom screw for the mortise lock. This may allow the mortise lock to pivot away from the fork. You need to get that screw.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)