SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Need 8 shoes and pins see sample

A home owner from North Aurora IL says:
I think I need a 3/8" shoe. I measured with a metric ruler and the thickness is 10mm, the width about 20mm and 42mm tall. They are Windsor tilt windows that were installed in 2002. If I need to pull one out and mail it to you, I can do that. If you are 80% sure you know what I need, then I will just buy 2 and test. I need both shoe and pin, so I plan to buy in pairs.
User submitted a photo of a pivot shoe.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid I cannot identify this shoe based on this information alone. Please remove it from the window and take a few pictures of it separately. Please also take pictures of the tilt bar and balance, along with detailed dimensions. Thanks!
A quick learner says:
Here are some additional pictures. If this is not enough them I will mail in parts.
User submitted photos of a pivot shoe.
Profile picture of Paul
Perfect! I think I may have found what you need. The pivot bar looks like our 26-380 and the pivot lock shoe that can goes with that is our 15-179, which is 15/16" wide and 9/16" thick. Do you think these parts can work for you?
A quick learner says:
I will order 1 and find out! Thanks
A quick learner from North Aurora IL says:
The shoe and Pivot bar combo work fine, and should solve my issue. I have two additional issues/questions.

#1 - What is the part # for the clip that fits pivot lock shoe 15-179? The clips I have are two wide. I would think you have that part too.

#2 - Where do you suggest cutting the window frame to swap out the shoes? I cut at the top of the window where the fixed top section is, but you can see the cut and it could be an issue for the latch. Does a bit further down or at the bottom make more sense? If I have to replace both sides on a given window, should I do them at the same level on both sides or stagger the cuts?

Thanks!
User submitted photos of a pivot shoe.
Profile picture of Paul
Great! Glad to hear it. I'll answer your new questions one at a time:

1. I think you are talking about the end piece on the balance string, which appears similar to our 15-043. That piece does fit our 15-179 shoe. After you screw the top of the balance in, pull down on the string with locking or needle nose pliers and hook the metal clip under the die cast carrier of the shoe. The string goes through the die cast carrier, either on the left or right side.

2. For the bottom sash, I cut at the top of window track. Just enough for the old and new shoe to fit through. I then slide the shoe down to about a foot above the sill and lock it in place with a slot screw driver towards me. Then, screw in the balance at the top, pull down the 15-043 clip and lock it in the shoe as described above. Repeat for the other side, then reinstall the sash. For the bottom sash, only make cuts at the top for the pivot shoes. They can be equal on both sides. Never cut near the bottom of the track for the bottom sash, or else the shoe could pop out when you open and close the window!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)