SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Need basic exterior keyed lock

A quick learner from Oakland, CA says:
Well, I'm glad I found your site! I need to use a basic slider as an entry door so need an exterior keyed lock. The interior can be a thumb turn or a key. Here are photos of what I've got. Your advice about what to buy would be greatly appreciated.

User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Rebecca! I'd be happy to find you a new handle. Before I do, though, can you first tell me what the distance is between your screw holes, center-to-center? In the meantime, you might want to consider our 82-005. Does this match up? Let me know what you think.
A quick learner from Oakland, CA says:
Hi Tom,
Thanks for your reply. I measured and the distance, center of screw to center of screw is 3 7/16. The 82-005 would be too big, based on the illustration.
Do you have one that will fit my door?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Hmm... I'm afraid I wasn't able to find an exact match to this handle set. You might want to look at our 82-031 and simply re-drill the installation holes. Do you think that would work for you? The inside mortise appears similar to our 82-223. Check that out and see if you agree.
A professional from California says:
Any raised outside pull would block a screen.
If you don't care about a screen,82-031 should work OK. In fact you should only need the outside pull 82-306. The crucial part would be in lining up the keyed lock post with the slot in the mortise lock. The current holes are for an offset handle.
The outside handle would have to be mounted lower than the inside.

82-005 would work, but the cylinder would have to be mounted inside the frame where the mortise lock currently is. 82-308 has the required cylinder stabilizer, but the pull would not line up. She would be better off drilling the current handle for a cylinder.

A locksmith might be a good idea for this one.
Although, I don't have much confidence in a locksmith either. I seem to remember this lock having a gear system that allowed the cylinder to be located outside of the mortise area. I drew a loose sketch of what I remember. I could be confusing it with a different one though.
A customer submitted sketch.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)