SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Need channel balances for 13 lb. wood sashes

A contractor from W. Oregon says:
Hi. My customer brought me 4 old wood sash (2 upper/2 lower) to be made into "new" double hung units. The glass is 28" tall & each 1-3/8" sash weighs about 13 pounds. They prefer not to see any balance hardware. Can you recommend a channel balance for this application? Routing channels into the sash is not a problem. Thanks.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
For wood sashes, I recommend our Series 500 non tilt balances with either our 17-007 or 17-012 brackets. This set has been used since the forties for wood windows. The top sash would be 29" and bottom sash would be 31", and both would be red tip.
A contractor from w. oregon says:
Hi Again. After many months wait I just received the stripped & repainted wood sash back from the customer. I may have been remiss not to study the hardware you sent me in Nov. of 2011. It appears to me that the 17-012 brackets will be visible when the sash are opened. Is this correct? If so I don't think this is something my client is going to accept. Do you carry balances that remain unseen in operation?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for the update. Unfortunately, if you feel that they will be exposed, I'm not sure if there's much else that you can do. You may be able to go to a nearby mill-work who still makes wood windows and see if they have jambliners you could use instead of balances. You would still probably see them, just not as much. It's extremely difficult to hide these kind of balances when the sashes are open without hindering the operation of the window.
A quick learner from w. oregon says:
Thanks Paul
I'll have to return these balances & try another system. Sorry for the hassle as I navigate my way through the nuance of the balance world.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)