SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Need help... channel balance

A quick learner from Janesville, WI says:
I apologize for my lack of knowledge. Let's hope I can explain this properly.

I believe I have Kolbe and Koble replacement windows in our home. Looks like they may have been installed around 2002. I think it's Kolbe as I found a NFRC code of KKM-OO5 on one of the windows.

On two of my double-hung windows, the top sash won't stay up. Looks like the string is attached to a metal clip of sorts, and the metal clip is just plain broken. Probably easiest thing for me is to simplye replace the entire window balances mechanism. I assume i simply need to pull out the windows, take out the vinyl jamliner, and pull out/install a new channel spring thinger.

Now I pulled out the old one. It appears to have codes on it of DBLO226XHD. Does this help guide me as to determine exactly what I need to order to replace it?? And then do I also need to order a part that the window sits in, like a shoe? Or would that come with the new channel spring.

Again, sorry for my ingorance on this one!!!
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Not a problem! I hope we can help. Your photo doesn't show me the part at the end of the string, so it's hard to say for sure what you have, but look at our S751-27 tilt balance. Does this match? The top hook could be our 19-029 short clip or 19-030 long clip.
What purpose do these short or long clips serve? Does it attach the new S751-27 tilt balance to the vinyl jamliner? Thanks for the help thus far. I'm sure I'll have another question or two as we go.
Profile picture of Paul
Sure, I'm happy to answer any questions you have! You're correct, these hooks attach the balance to the track. The short "S" hook is usually used for the top sash balance and the long "S" hook is for the bottom sash balance. You can reuse your old ones if they're not broken.
Is the 15-014 shoe that this balance comes with comaptible with my sash pivot? I took some more photos. And here's the current shoe my window uses.
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
The 15-014 certainly looks similar, yes. Though now that I look at it, it may also be the newer 15-190. Let me know which is closer.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)