SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Need help finding a bottom track

A quick learner from California says:
I have 4 - 36"x80"x 1-3/8" thk wood louvered doors to install at my new wardrobe closet. The opening is 11'-6" wide. I want to rest the doors on a floor track and wheels (similar to track 23-258) and use some sort of guide at the head to keep the doors in place (like a channel for instance). I can't seem to find a bottom track that will fit two 1-3/4" doors on one track. It is only necessary to have one track for two doors because I do not need all four doors to by-pass each other; I only need two doors to by-pass each other. I would prefer that the wheels be recessed into the door bottoms by using a router to make a receiving pocket. Thank you for your help.

Marc
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, thanks for posting. It's hard for me to say if the 23-258 will work for you without more information about your track.

First, could I see a few pictures of it? That will help us find a style that will best fit what you have. Can you also tell me the distance between the two rails, center-to-center? Check out the diagram below, which shows this same dimension for the 23-258. As you can see, it is 1-11/16".
Profile view of 23-258
Hello Tom. Thank you for your response. I apologize for my poor wording. I have the doors and I want to purchase the 23-258 track. I would like confirmation that the 23-258 will function properly with the 1 3/8" thick doors (that two bypass 1 3/8" doors will fit in the 23-258). And I also would like a suggestion on which wheels are best used so that the wheels can be recessed into the door bottoms by using a router to make a receiving pocket. If recessing the doors into the boor bottom rail is not a good idea, then what style wheel and attachment technique would you suggest? Lastly, I would like a suggestion on which track SWISCO sells (or other device) which would function best at the door head to keep the doors stable. Thank you for your time.

Marc
Profile picture of Tom
Hey, Marc! The best way for me to know if your doors will work for our 23-258 is to know the distance between the rails, center-to-center, on your own track. If you let me know what yours is, I will be better able to gauge how well the 23-258 will work, or what a better match would be. Let me know!
A quick learner from Ca says:
Hello Tom. I do not have any track. I only have doors. I am shopping for the track, guides etc. I like the 22-258 and I think my inch and three eighth doors will fit. I would like your opinion. Also your opinion on the bottom wheel selection and the way I propose to mount them at the bottom. Also a suggestion on how to secure the tops of the doors. Thanks
Profile picture of Tom
Ah, I see. In that case, this may be a little trickier. The 23-258 track is meant to replace a previously existing bottom track, not for a new application. Recommending it for something that is not meant to work with it is tough. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

How much do your doors weigh? We have top hung track kits that might work for you, but if your doors are too heavy then it would be a problem. You might want to look at our 23-502 kits. Each kit is for installation of two 1-3/8" thick door panels, just like your own. It can hold doors weighing up to 60 pounds.
Hello Tom. Sorry it's taken some time for me to get back to you. So the floor based support for new doors doesn't seem proper, although I don't know why. It seems an easy fit: just wheels on the ground and lateral support at the top.

Anyway, questions about using 23-502 kits.

My wardrobe opening is 12'-6". Using 4-36" doors. I want both pair of doors to glide the entire 12'. So I will use 4 kits (2x6'=12')resulting in 2-12' tracks (butt joined) running parallel to each other (I will use extra floor door guides).

There must be a space between the parallel tracks so that when installed there is space (clearance) between the door faces of the doors on the inside. I imagine the space required is the same as provided between the 2 doors when using just one track.

Can you tell me what that number is (the diagram doesn't have that dimension)?

Also, the wheel hangers appear to have 4 places to put fasteners. How does one decide which to use? Are the fasteners bolts or screws? Little screws on 60# doors seems fragile. Is it?

Thanks again for your help.
A quick learner from Camarillo CA says:
Using the 23-502 Kit: My wardrobe opening is 12'-6". I am using 4-36" wide doors. So I have 4 doors and I will make two 12' long tracks (out of 4 kits). These two 12' tracks will run parallel, each track supporting two doors. The doors are 1 3/8" thick. What should the clear distance be between the two "inside" faces of the two doors running on the "inside" of each track so that the two "inside" door faces on the two separate tracks don't touch each other when sliding? (i.e. what should the dimension be between the two parallel separate 12' long tracks to enable the doors on the separate tracks to slide smoothly?). Also: the 23-502 kit wheel hangers have four places where the hangers can be secured to the door. How does one decide which holes to use to make the attachment? Are the fasteners screws or bolts? Which face of the door are the hangers secured to? A 60# door and a couple of screws doesn't seem so strong. Thanks for your help.
Profile picture of Tom
Thanks for getting back to us! It's hard for us to tell at this stage. We recommend installing one set first. After that, you should be in a better position to judge where to mount the second closet track.
Profile detail of 23-500, 23-501, 23-502, 23-503
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)