SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Need help identifing spiral balancers

A home owner from Round Rock, Tx says:
Hello, I have 30 Champion windows that were installed in year 2000. Based on operation all of them are hard to open or have already 'spit' out the spiral mechanism that is clipped into the bottom sash.

Some specifics:

Tube Diameter = 3/8"
Tube length (not including red tip) = 29"
Exposed spiral (from end of tube including red tip) = 2.5"

A few additional questions:

1) After looking on your webpage, I do not see any of your assemblies that contain the type of clip that I have (see SpiralEnd.jpg) Do you have a clip that will work on my windows

2) If yes, what Swisco tool would required to 'charge' my spiral spring?

3)I have a number of different sizes of windows. Is there a way to determine the right spiral balancer without taking out one of assemblies for each window size? I did notice that if I measure from the top of the bottom sash to the bottom (the lip that you use to open window) it is exactly 29" which is the same as spiral tube. Can this method be used to determine the needed part?

Thanks in advance for your help.

User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hello! Yes, we can custom make this. Based on the measurements you took, I would make you a custom S300-29 with a 15-073 shoe attached. Does that look good to you? If so, how many would you need? For a charging tool, I'd recommend our 75-005.

As for the method you describe for identifying the size of each balance, it's hard to say. You never can tell what kind of curve balls the original installers might have thrown. You could go by the sash size, but if I were you I would double check on another window or two just to be sure the pattern is consistent.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)