SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Need help replacing 39-405 skylight operator in 20 year old Velux Skylight

A quick learner from USA says:
Do you have installation instructions for replacing 39-405 skylight operator in 20 year old Velux Skylight? Can it be replaced without getting on the roof? Alternatively, could I instal a new 39-550 or 39-551 ? If so ,how would I do it. The shaft has broken off and is still inside the operator.. Thank you
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Unfortunately, if the shaft has broken off inside the operator your easiest solution may be replacing the entire operator altogether. This is a common issue we see with this part and there is no easy solution. As for replacing the operator without getting on the roof, I cannot say for sure. I am not familiar with your house's setup so I cannot comment on what access you have otherwise.
A professional from Louisiana, USA says:
Tom said: "replacing the entire operator altogether"....shaft has broken off inside"

Before doing that: Depending where the skylight is and access to it, I removed the vent operator Velux Roof access (Product Code: 39-405) and dismantled it. Here is a horse shoe shaped retaining pin that holds the Velux Skylight Operator Adapter (Product Code: 39-550) in place. Open the vent operator housing and remove the , retaining pin. Shake out the broken piece of shaft. Replace the pin and plastic sleeve. Replace the vent operator plastic housing. I used the broken shaft and pressed it in until the second notch on the shaft caught the retaining pin, and replaced the vent operator assembly back on the skylight window. Checked the operation/function and all is good. I still plan to order the Velux Skylight Operator Adapter (Product Code: 39-550) to have around in case it is needed at a later time.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)