SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Need Patio Door installation help

A quick learner from Commack, NY says:
I recently purchased a Patio Door Handle set (Item 82-004) and am having problems installing. The internal latch does not seem to fit inside the door, even though it is the same exact size as the previous one. Any thoughts on how the internal latch fits inside the door frame? Thanks.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
From my experience with the 82-004, I believe you have to have the latch in the lock position, and you will have to kind of roll it into the cut out on the door. If the old lock (which is the same as the replacement) fits, the new one should also. Send us some pictures if you need any further help. We will update the site when we put in more instructional pictures and videos.
A handy person from Old Bethpage, NY says:
Dave: I am working on this installation. The spindle/latch piece needs to fit horizontally into the lower holes of the keyhole shaped cutouts on the inside and outside of the door frame. I can get one, but not both ends of the spindle into these holes. Also, the installation instruction that came with the parts is totally useless.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I have installed these locks many times, I can't understand why you are having trouble. I know the mortise latch has to be installed horizontal, however, to install the latch I believe it fits into the hole vertically then you turn it horizontal. Does that make sense?
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)