SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Need parts/upgrade door handle, lock & latch.

A home owner from Delaware OHIO says:
The mortise latch (circa 1997) needs replaced. The inside door pull part number is 1060-1943, the outside pull is PT 1963. The inside lever appears to be 1942 from the drawings. It appears that I have the round faced mortise latch part number Mortise Lock, Round Face, 3-11/16"82-218 The door thickness is 1 1/2" It does not have an outside lock and key access. The color is wood handle with ivory finish.

If I want to update the door hardware and upgrade to an out side key I assume that the mortise latch would be different to accommodate the outside lock mechanism. What set up would I go with to do that? All of my door handles are antique brass on the other doors, do you have anything that would compliment that as well.

Thanks in advance for your help.
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. Is this hardware broken, or do you just want to upgrade to a keyed handle? If you just want a keyed handle set, you could re-use your current hardware with our 82-310 key cylinder. You just need to knock or drill out the punch hole in the outside handle and slide it in. There's no reason to get a new mortise lock.

If your handle set is broken, you could consider our 82-035. This looks like what you have. The key lock that works with this handle set is our 82-309, but that has been known to be pretty tricky to install. You may be better off with our 82-069 and 82-310 key cylinder, instead.

If you also need a new mortise lock, consider our 82-218.
A home owner from Delaware Ohio says:
Thanks- I wasn't clear. The existing mortise lock is broken and does not operate with the thumb lock, so that does need replaced. The inner and outer handle set is fine so I absolutely can reuse them. I would replace them if you offered a set in antique brass so it would then match the other locks on the house.

I would like to add the function of a key lock to this door. Does the 82-218 mortise work if I add the lock cylinder and key?

Just to confirm, if I add a key lock to this door I would use lock and cylinder 82-310, remove the knock out, and the correct mortise for this set up would be 82-218. Right?
Profile picture of Tom
Ah, thanks for clarifying. The 82-310 key cylinder and 82-218 mortise lock work very well together. Just make sure the dimensions of our 82-218 match your own mortise lock.
A quick learner from Delaware, Ohio says:
OK, thanks for your help. The parts are on order. Hopefully my next post will be with a picture with the new parts in place !
Profile picture of Tom
Awesome! I hope it works out. Let me know if you need anything else.
A home owner from Delaware Ohio says:
The parts arrived quickly from your company quickly and I replaced the mortise lock so I could at least latch the door again. I see now that my old mortise latch was missing the return spring for the latch, so that was an easy fix. I had to wait until we had better weather t o install the new lock and cylinder , so finally today was sunny and in the mid twenties so I could have the sliding door open multiple times without too much discomfort. I watched your video before I installed the new key lock and cylinder. It was a breeze after that. The knock out came out with just an easy tap just like the video. The video also clearly explained how the thumb latch and the key lock met in the middle of the mortise latch. So with a little trimming on the tab and light filing afterwards it was a perfect fit. I also learned that the contractor had installed the outside door handle backwards so I also fixed that too . I wanted to thank you for your help and your instructional video. It is great to have a key on this door finally.
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
That's great news! Thank you so much for following up, this information is sure to help other customers in the future. If you need anything else in the future, we will be more than happy to help.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)