SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Need replacement sash for window

A handy person from Mint Hill, NC says:
I need to replace the sash on both sides of a window that will no longer open. From the stamp on the old sash can you tell me what part I need to order? Or do you need more information?

User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, David. Looks like you need a balance, not a sash. The sash is the glass panel itself, while a balance is a spring on either side that holds the sash up.

That said, I cannot identify what you have on this stamp alone. I will need a few more pictures. Please show me both ends of the metal channel and whatever is attached at the end of the cord, be it a metal clip or a nylon shoe. Please also tell me the length of the metal channel and the weight of your sash. Thanks!
A quick learner from Mint Hill says:
Attached should be the pictures you requested. The sash weighs 19.3 pounds. The
Peice at the end is metal.

I hope this helps.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
A quick learner from Mint Hill says:
Sorry the length is 29 inches.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
This looks like our Series 770 balance. For a 29" length, go to S770-29 and choose 29C option, this will carry a window sash weight range of 18 through 23 pounds.
This information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.
A quick learner from Mint hill says:
Thanks. One last question, does the balance come with an installation screw or can you recommend a part number for a stew?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Yes, see SWISCO product code 33-016, #8 x 1" stainless steel screw.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)