SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Need to replace lock on sliding door

A home owner from TN says:
The lock on my handle is no longer functioning and needs replaced. I was able to read PPG Herculite K on the glass and found you guys. Here is what I know as far as measurements for the handle:

It measures 8 1/4" in length
Screw to screw is 5"
Width is 1"

I didn't think to measure the width of the door, but can if you need more info!

Thank you
User submitted image of their door hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Liz. We should definitely be able to help. First, you mention that the lock isn't working. Can you go into more detail? Is it the thumb lever on your handle set that isn't working, or the inside mortise lock? For reference, the mortise lock is shown clearly in your second picture above.

If you aren't sure, there's an easy way to find out. Remove the inside and outside handles from the door and then use a screwdriver to manually throw the mortise lock, as if you were trying to lock the door. If you're having problems, then the mortise lock is likely the culprit. See our 82-218 for a possible replacement. Also see the video below for help on replacement.
If the mortise lock works fine, then it may be time for a new handle set. See our 82-034 or 82-075, depending on the thickness of your door.
A quick learner says:
Thanks for the quick response! The thumb level does move, but nothing happens. So it does sound like the mortise.

I followed the link that you sent and just want to clarify - the BEST way to order is to go off measurements?

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
My pleasure! Yes, we highly recommend comparing our measurements to yours just to be sure. I'm confident that the the 82-218 will match, but in this industry you can never be too certain. Every manufacturer likes to sneak in a weird part every now and then that is deceptively similar to more common replacement hardware. It's always better to double check.

If you remove your mortise lock from the door to confirm all dimensions, be careful not to let it drop in the door. That is a common issue with this part and there will be no getting it out once it falls in.
A professional from California says:
If the thumb lever moves, the mortise should at least move up and down, if not out. If you turn the lever and the mortise does nothing, the problem may be that the lever is broken inside.
Remove the handle and try the mortise with a screwdriver. That should tell you a lot.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)