SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

New balances but windows do not operate smoothly

A home owner from Boynton says:
Hello. I just received my S385-30 (2950) balances from you guys and have it installed. Everything works and functions as it should but I was wondering if you had any recommendations as to what I could do to get my windows operating smoother. I don't know what the technical terms for the window are but there's one single window that slides up from the bottom. The Windows function ok but the are a little rough opening. Should I lube them? If so how? Thanks. And love your website by the way.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I would first spray the window track with silicone and see if that helps. If not, your spring strength of 2950 might not be correct. In that situation, I would recommend weighing your sash on a scale and referencing the chart we show on the S385-30 store page.
A handy person from Florida says:
Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot. The product information I used to order the balances was taken directly off the old ones. The home was built new around 2006 with all original millwork remaining. It seems as though the window is binding on its way up preventing smooth operation. Thanks again.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)