New coil springs won't stay up

A quick learner from New York State says:
I am writing for help on my window.
I purchased two window springs from you. Part number S190-540. The spring fit on old part fine and into the window. The window weight is 5 pounds. Not sure of window make. Question is: before the window would not stay up. After replacing the springs the window will still not stay up. The window is installed correctly.
any help would be appreciated. thank you jim
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Jim. It sounds like the S190-540 is not strong enough. How many of these are used on each side of the window? Also, what is the weight of the sash?
A home owner says:
hi tom there is one coil spring on each side .the S190-540 springs are larger (more coils)then the ones that i replaced but they fit ok in the window the sash ways 5 pounds.i lock the spring like they say to do and then drop window into them and then drop down to release ,but the window will still not stay up. not sure of the window make but the parts look the same as yours.thanks for any help if more questions let me know thanks jim
Profile picture of Tom
Hmm... you mentioned that the Series 190 is different than your old springs. That may also be a source of the issue. If possible, I'd like to see a picture of the pivot shoe to which the old springs attached. I would also like you to confirm the weight of the sash. Five pounds is exceptionally light, and considering two S190-540 springs can carry 5 pounds each, your window should actually be hard to close instead of not being able to stay up.
A home owner says:
tom thank you for your reply.i will try soon to send you a picture of the pivot shoe,as i will have to have time to remove it from the window.i do not see any on your web page that look like mine so maybe that is the problem.they look like your series 140 quick tilt single coil but the coil spring is not covered it just screws to the outside on the top.will try soon to send you a picture. thanks jim
Profile picture of Tom
Thanks, Jim. I think it'd be best if we see pictures before you buy anything. A lot of our coil balances look very similar with only subtle, but important, differences.
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.