SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

No guide for second door in bifold doors

A home owner says:

I have two bifold doors that meet in the middle. One has a #23-130 spring to keep it on the upper track, but the other does not. I thought I just needed to add in another 23-130 for the other door, but when I installed it, it turns out the doors cannot close because then the two 23-130's are pushed completely together and the doors are not completely closed.

So, without a 23-130 on the second door, the 23-112 coming up from the second door is much too small for the track and it is not as easy to close. Is there a smaller piece for the 23-112 to stick into that will just act as a guide on the track? Here is a picture of how close the 23-112 is to the 23-130 already when the doors are closed.

Thank you for your help.
User submitted a photo of bifold door hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see your problem. You know, Stanley and Acme door companies actually used the 23-114 top wheel guides on both doors with the 23-131 snugger between them. That might work in your case. What do you think?
A quick learner says:
I can see how the 23-114 would solve the problem of having both doors slide easily, but what is the purpose of the 23-131 snugger between them?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
The 23-131 keep the door tightly closed.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)