No identification can be found on any hardware,

A handy person from Pensylvania says:
Image 1 shows two sash balance devices (sorry, I don't know the name). As you can see, one has a broken 'string' and a missing clip that attaches the string to the window. A full functional one is pictured next to it. A tape measure also pictured so that you may judge its size. The clip (on the functioning sash balance) is pictured on the second image.

I need the clip and string (proper gauge and strength)to fix the sash balance. If these parts are not available, maybe the whole sash balance device can be replaced.
User submitted image of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hello! Looks like you have an old Crossly window balance. From your photo, the length of the metal channel is 23", so check out our S700-23.

I recommend replacing the balance entirely, rather than trying to find the string by itself. You likely won't find the right type but if you did, we don't recommend trying to repair it. These are delicate systems and aside from the spring tension never quite being right, there is a risk of injury. I've known people who have tried to repair a balance who have had the spring jump back and hit them. Simply replacing the balance is less time consuming and dangerous.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.