SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Non-tilt Spiral Window Balance

A handy person from Sugar Land, Texas says:
One of the windows has a broken spiral balance. The windows are approx. 17 years old and I have lived in the house ever since it was built. I could not remove the rod and spiral. The bottom attachment is corroded and broken loose. What should I do next to remove the assembly so that I can measure and order replacement parts. The plastic covers that are left on the top of the around the rod are white in color.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Could you go into more detail on how you are unable to remove it? Where are you running into problems, exactly? If the bottom attachment has broken loose, I imagine you should be able to just unscrew the balance from the top and take it out. If you can, take a couple pictures of what you have and we can try to work from there.
A handy person from Sugar Land says:
Tom,
Many thanks for your response. Yesterday I pulled the spiral wire from the bottom and observed that it's all corroded. There is a clip that I believe hangs into the window frame to hold the window. I will take some pictures and see if a replacement assembly is available. The corroded clip did not have any plastic cover so this product line may not have color coding available.
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you! Pictures would be a huge help. Let me know.
Tom,
I thought I sent you some photos last week but didn't find it in my sent folder. So here we go again.
There is clip at the bottom that holds the spiral at the bottom of the window. Please take a look and let me know if you have replacement assembly available and tools to twist the spiral.

Regards,
Herschel P.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Aha, I recognize this. Looks like a Series 306 spiral balance, but with the default shoe swapped out for a special 15-073. Look over this hardware and tell me if you agree.

If so, we can make this configuration for you, though it would have to be custom made. I would need the following information in order to proceed:

-Length of the outer balance tube.
-Weight of the window sash.
-How many of these balances you will need.

Please let me know whenever you can!
Tom,
Looks like it should work in the combination you suggested.
I need to fix one window so 2 balances.

Here are the dimensions, length of tube 29" and difficult to be exact but either 27/64 or 13/32 diameter. Because the top end is slightly flattened I could not insert the measuring device smoothly over that end.

Weight of window, I will have to guess as there is no way to remove the window assembly, with single pane glass approximately 10 lbs.

Can you please give me an estimate including a tool to twist the spiral and shipping.

Regards,
Herschel
Profile picture of Tom
Gotcha. How about our Red Tip option, which can carry 10 through 22 pounds? I'll send you an order form and price quote for two of these. You can expect to receive it very shortly.
Tom,
Does this balance require special tool? If so can you add to my cart.

Regards,
Herschel
Profile picture of Tom
You should be able to use our 75-005 non-tilt window spiral balance charging tool.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)