SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Non-tilt spiral window balance replacement help

A quick learner says:
I'm trying to replace the non-tilt spiral window balance myself. I took the old part off and attached the picture of the shoe end. The spiral measures as 29" long and 3/8" thick. The shoe is kind different and I cannot seem to find an exact match to mine. Can you please help identify the right spiral balance for replacement? BTW, there is no tip on the end. So I'm not sure about the color.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Tianhao
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
This looks like our Series 306 spiral balance, but with a 15-142 specially attached. We can custom make this for you, but I would like some additional information. First, what is the weight of your window sash? Since there are no color tips this will help us calculate what spring strength you need. Finally, how many of these balances will you need?
A quick learner says:
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your prompt response. I couldn't remove the sash from the frame. So I did a rough estimate of the weight in the range of 20~25 lbs. I'd need two pairs of these balances for two windows. Please send me the quote.

Thanks!
Profile picture of Tom
I suppose we could make these with a Green Tip. Two balances with Green Tips can carry a sash weight range of 14 through 26 pounds. I will send you a custom balance order form for four of these balances shortly. Keep an eye on your inbox!
A quick learner says:
I now need to order two more pairs of same balance. The tip color looks like orange. But I'm not 100% sure. Can you please provide a table detailing the weight range for each color? How many colors are there? Green, orange, white and red? What are the weight range respectively? I want to make sure I'm ordering the right one. BTW, the sash cannot be taken off for weight measurement.

thanks!
Tianhao
Profile picture of Tom
The other color option available for the S306-29 is Red, which I believe you have. Many balance tips look orange; the exact shade varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, you see, but they're all considered "Red" in the trade.

Two S306-29 balances with Red Tips can carry a sash weight of 10 through 22 pounds. By your estimate, would that work? Can you also confirm you just need four?
A quick learner says:
Hi Tom,

The sash weighs at least 40~50 lbs. So the red tip weight range doesn't seem to fit. Can you customize 2 pairs (4 pieces) that can handle this weight range?

Thanks
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid there isn't a S306-29 spring strength that can support that kind of weight. I highly recommend weighing the sash on a scale so you know exactly what it is. The different color options and their corresponding strengths are as follows:

Red: 10 through 22 pounds
Green: 14 through 26 pounds
Yellow: 24 through 34 pounds

Yellow is the absolute strongest made. Let me know!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)