Not sure what my sash weight is

A handy person from San Francisco says:
Hi Experts!

I'm pretty sure that my replacement window balance is the S350-28, however, I don't know what the weight of the sash is. My old window balance doesn't have any markings on it to check. Do you have any suggestions for where to start? I did try to lift the window up before without the balances and it was probably in the 20-40lbs range, but I'm not sure. Does that seem reasonable? It's a double pane window approx 23.5"x 47" total size of top and bottom.

Looking forward to your advice!

Irving
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! If your old balance has no stamp to use as reference, you'll need to remove the sash from the frame and place it on a scale to get the exact weight. I'm afraid that's the only course of action left. I do not recommend estimating the weight, since these are pretty delicate systems. You don't want the spring to be too weak or too strong.
A quick learner from California says:
Ok, thanks!
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.