SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Old Amsco window balance replacement

A handy person from New York, NY says:
I manage 12 unit apartment with old Amsco windows about 20 windows need some balance springs replaced.
Our windows come in 2 sizes:
38" & 34" long channel, 1/2" wide
38" have 3820 stamped on them.
34" have 3330 stamped on them.
Both sizes have identical end pieces & sash guide, 18-052 (your #)
I need to order 50 short (34") and 10 long (38") balance springs as well as 50 sash guides.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. It looks like your balances use our 19-002 top nylon fitting and 15-005 bottom nylon fitting. Can you confirm? This is not a standard setup, so it will have to be specially put together.

In addition to that, the longer balance is a very large size so that will have to be specially made regardless.

Before we begin, however, I would like you to confirm a few things. Based on your stamps, your 3820 balance should have a metal channel of 39". Can you confirm?
A handy person from Utah says:
The channel is 39"
Does the non-standard configuration mean a higher cost?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
No, having different nylon caps won't affect the price. The only thing that affects price is size and spring strength.

I have emailed you two custom balance ordering links for the two requested balance types. You should receive it shortly.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)