Old Replacement Spiral Balances

A quick learner from Florida says:
Replacing window parts in structure build in 1970s- single hung, non-tilt windows. Need (8) 18" 3/8 Balances with white tips. Also need (2) 11" 3/8 Balances with white tips. These parts are not listed on your website. What should I do? Thanks! Tom

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I see you were looking at our Series 400 spiral balance. Is that the Series you need in these lengths? If so, please confirm the weight of each window sash; both for the 18" balances and the 11" balances. Once we know that, we can work from there. The 11" balances will likely have to be custom made, so I will also need to know how many of those you need.
A landlord from Fort Pierce, Florida says:
Thanks Tom. Yes, your Series 400 Balances match the parts that I removed. Single hung windows are original in a duplex and all hardware must be replaced or I will have to change out all windows. I weighed the sashes as requested and here is the info: 23"= 12 lbs, 18"=10.5 lbs, 11"= 5 lbs. My needs are (4) 23" Balances, (16) 18" Balances, (4) 11" Balances. I have a question regarding the 11" Balances- These are for (2) obscure bathroom windows (37"X25") that need only to open a very little bit. Can I get by with the 12" Balances? If not, what is my cost for (4) custom 11" Balances?

Also have identified a close matching sash guide (18-166 Kinco). The height (1/2"), front (7/8") and rear (5/8") widths are the same. It is the overall length that is different (mine is 1 1/4" and Kinco is 1 1/2")- screw holes line up. Do you think that this will work? Thanks again for your help. Tom
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for clarifying! I have good news, we were actually able to add our S400-11 as a standard balance option for you. It no longer needs to be custom made.

With that in mind, I would recommend a Red Tip for all three balance types. The length of the 18-166 won't matter as long as the holes match up with your old top sash guide.
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.