SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Old Spiral Balance with Clip

A home owner from Concord, CA says:

I need to replace a pair of spiral window balances. They are about 19 years old, 17" long (tube only), and 3/8" wide. I cannot see a color at one end, but I can see green inside the spring. (You can see it in the ClipEnd picture.)

It also does not have a standard tip, as far as I can tell. I have included a couple of pictures in hopes that they will help identify what part I need for replacement.

I also need help in figuring out how to remove the other balance from my window! There is no screw at the bottom, it simply clips to the bottom of the window.

Graph paper in these pictures is 1/2" square.

By the way, I found you on YouTube. Your videos are terrific! I didn't even know what to call this device until I found your video.

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

John H
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting. This balance will have to be specially made, as it has a unique clip at the end. Check out this custom spiral balance request form that I've started for you based on your specifications and fill out the rest of the information. One of our representatives will get back to you shortly thereafter with a price quote and an item to add to your cart.

As for installation, I think I can help. With someone helping you, you will need to drop the new balance in from the top of the sash, screw it in at the top, then let the spiral drop down. You will then raise the sash and, while someone holds the sash in the open position, spin the spiral up to the bottom of the sash. Finally, with our 75-004 tool, give the balance about three turns to charge it and lock it to the end into the sash clip.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
A home owner from Concord, CA says:
Hi Paul,

Thank you for the information. I've already completed the custom balance form.

My question wasn't around installation, it was around removing the old remaining balance. I can't seem to find a good way to open the clip so that it can be released from the bottom of the sash.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
You would need to open the window and then use our 75-005 tool to hook in the bottom hole of the spiral, then and unhook the clip from the sash.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)