SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Old Window hinge

A home owner from USA says:
Hello! I live in an old farmhouse and on the second floor each room is somewhat angled because the roof comes down to about 3 feet above the floor in the front and back of the house. Therefore these windows were installed to allow some ventilation on the 2nd floor.

However the 24"x24" wooden windows are currently sitting loosely in the window frames. If you enlarge the picture it appears that some kind of hinge was attached on the side of each window. I don't think they were allowed to pivot because there are storm windows and a 1/2 screen directly behind them. My guess is they opened either at the top or bottom and the other end stayed in the frame .

If you know something better about what this kind of window should or could do I'd love to know. What I am also seeking is hardware to make them functional and safe. If you have any I'd love to know. Also prices. Thanks so much!
User submitted a photo of window hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Your existing hinges are most likely the original. The window could operate freely before the storm windows where installed. Not sure if our 20-018 hinges could work, but take a look. You will need to remove the existing center pivots and possibly the sill.
A handy person from norwich, ct says:
There are some kind of metal attachments to the sides of each window. I suspect they took the pins that the windows pivoted on. There were no other attachments except a handle. No hinges at all.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Do you think you could get the 20-018 to work?
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)