Old Wood window balance installtion

A quick learner from Pacifica says:
I have old wood double hung windows , the windows were reframed and no weight boxes. Can your spring balances be used if the windows were modified to accept the balances and clips mounted into the frames? I realize i could have the whole thing replaced but its an older building and would like to keep as much original as possible. Look forward to your response, Jeff
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I suggest going back to the original balance system used by millworks when making wood windows: the Series 500 5/8" spiral balance with a 17-012 bottom bracket. You will need to rout out the side of the sash to take a 5/8" tube balance, however. Below are generic directions for these balances:

To install these balances, you would drop them from the top, on the side of the sash. Use 33-017 screws to attach the balance tubes at the top. Now raise the sash, and have someone hold it up while you attach the 17-012 bottom bracket with a 33-090 screw, while the U-shaped opening corrals the spiral. With your finger, bring the spiral up to the bracket, attach the 75-004 charging tool, and turn the spiral clockwise three turns before hooking it to the fork of the bracket. Repeat on the other side, and try the sash. If sash creeps down, raise and hold up the sash while giving the balances another turn or two.

Let me know if you need more information.
A quick learner from pacifica says:
Thanks for your response, Now what length spiral balances for a window 34 1/2 in ht? Thanks in advance
Profile picture of Paul
The rule of thumb when it comes to balance length for wood windows top sashes is to add 1" to the visible glass height, and for wood window bottom sashes to add 3" to the visible glass height. What is the visible glass height for the 34.5" sash?
A quick learner from Pacifica,CA says:
Both bottom and top sash (clear view) glass in 33 1/2 ! So adding 1" to top sash and 3" to bottom sash would give me spring rod length? On the chart listed I'm seeing only even numbers, not broken down ! Please verify rod lengths required? Thanks, jeff
A quick learner from pacifica,CA says:
Paul, Visible (daylite)opening of both top and bottom sash is 33 1/2-. Looking at the chart I see only whole numbers! Please verify balances required for both top and bottom. Thanks in advance, Jeff
Profile picture of Paul
Great! Thank you. I would round up the 33.5" to 34". With that in mind, I'd recommend our S500-35 for the top sash and S500-37 for the bottom sash. There's a little leeway with spiral balances, in terms of length, so you should be okay.
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.