SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Old weather stripping replacement

A home owner from Westlake, Ohio says:
Dear Sir,

I have a 25 year old home in cold Ohio that I would like to replace worn weather stripping on a front door. A painter removed and discarded the stripping from the top (header?) of the door frame, so I don't know what that looked like. The hinge and latch stripping is still in place, but is worn and distorted.

My kerf depth is 1/2 inch. I have enclosed a cross section of the existing latch side stripping, with measurements. The 15/32 inch measurement, in reality, is likely 1/2 inch.

The stripping is not a bulb type, like your 58-173 product, but seem to resemble your 58-008 product. The door is not metal though. It seems similar to the question asked by the gentlemen from Fairport, NY on 4/20/15 in the weather stripping section.

I have enclosed additional pictures of the stripping in place, due to distortion from door pressure over 25 years of service, the latch stripping seems more "flattened" than the hinge stripping. Please provide opinion as which of your products could replace the stripping for all three sides.

Thank you for your time, you have an impressive web site.
User submitted photos of weather seal.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Are you sure you don't have a metal prime door? The one photo you show of the bubble looks very close to the hinge-side bubble of the 58-008. Try using a magnet and see if it react to your door. You might need the 58-008 prime door seal.
A quick learner from Westlake, Ohio says:
Thank you for your expert opinion. I checked the door with a magnet, and it is not metal. Can I use the hinge side component from the 58-008 prime door seal on both hinge and latch sides of the door? Finally, what would you recommend as a seal replacement for the header top of the door?
Thank you, I appreciate your assistance.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
The 58-008 hinge side may work for you, yes, as long as the size and shape are roughly the same, which they appear to be. It may also be worth considering the 58-056 as an option. It's not exact, but it's a standard foam seal used on many varieties of door. It's up to you, though.
A quick learner from Westlake, Ohio says:
Thank you for your advice. You have ben very helpful. I will make the appropriate orders.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)