SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Operator cogs slipped a notch or two?

A home owner from San Diego, CA says:

I have a window that is less than 2 years old and the operator resembles your model 39-253R. Window is not subject to bad weather and the sill/gears are clean. My problem is that the window does not close completely; the free (non-hinge) side of the sash has a gap of about 2 inches from the frame when the Operator crank starts to bind (stop turning). My question: can the cog wheels on the operator get out of sync? If so, can they be re-set?

I can't believe the operator is suddenly broken, under such mild conditions. Thanks! Clay
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Clay. Sometimes the gears on an operator can get stripped out, but there's no repairing it since they're machine-installed at the factory. Two years is a short time, though. Is this window used often? One of the problems may be that it was turned too much after closing it. This is the most common cause of stripped out gears.

Just to be sure that the operator is the problem, though, disconnect it from the sash and try to open and close the window manually. If it still binds, there may be another issue. If it closes without problem, though, then it may be time for a new operator.
A quick learner from San Diego, CA says:
Thank you for your advice. I only use the window during the summer and this is the first summer that it has been in place.

I disconnected the operator and the window still won't close. I spun the operator all the way, in both directions while it was uninstalled, and I can see that all the cogs are present.

My guess is that the window is binding somewhere on the hinge side. I just can't see it. Tried to pull it shut, but it won't budge. I guess I'll have to call the window installer and have him take a look.

Profile picture of Tom
Ah, I see. Check to see if there are any screws sticking out. Sometimes the installers won't use the right screws and this can cause the hardware to bind. Especially check the hinges. See the video below for how to uninstall a casement window hinge.
A home owner from San Diego, CA says:
You were right. One hinge screw on the bottom of the sash was inserted at an angle and the protruding edge of the screw head stopped the window from closing. I ground it down and life is good again. Thank you for your help!
Your products and your website are top notch! Thanks again.
Profile picture of Tom
Awesome! Glad I was able to help. If you need anything else, let me know.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)