SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Operator for a custom awning

A handy person from New Mexico says:
I built an awning window from scratch between our bedroom and an attached greenhouse. We currently operate it by pushing it open manually. It stays in position with an under window metal folding arm. I want to replace this set up with an awning operator placed on the interior sill. The bottom edge of the window is currently about 1" below the sill. I can adjust this dimension if necessary. What mechanism do you recommend and why.
Justin
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
We do have different types of operators for awning windows. To get started, please look at our 39-069 Window Lever Operator and our 39-083 Dual Arm Crank. Keep in mind that these are just two, and that we have others in different sizes.

You will also need our 39-170 Window Sash Brackets, 36-013-10 2-Bar Hinge Set, and handles.

To install these will require some knowledge in carpentry. You will have to make a sill cover stop for the bottom of the main frame to cover the installation screws for the operator and to trim out the bottom sill. You will also have to cut a groove on the sides of the sash for the side hinges.
A handy person from New Mexico says:
Hi Dave,

In an awning window application it appears that the 39-077 rod would stick out straight into the room. To be useful and safe it would have to fold up against the sash or sit on the sill in a folded position. Can the 39-077 fold in this manner.

Justin
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)