Order Replacement S600-16 jams up

A home owner from Boston, MA says:
I received my order today. I installed the pair of S600-16 blue-tip spiral balances, charged them with the tool, and reinstalled the window sash. One spiral balancer jams. I can pull it down to closed but when I try to raise the window it goes fine for about 3 inches (hurray - it was broken springs on the old balancers) and then jams up. The spiral piece will not go back into the tube. This causes the assembly to bow out as I lift the window. When I remove the sash and it's not under stress it does go in, not sure if it's smoothly enough. Did I damage it in installation? Was it defective? Can I repair it? Must I order another balancer? Its spring itself still works fine.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Are the new balances the same length as old? Did you charge the balance with 2 or 3 turns? Did you lock spiral in the same notch as the old balance in pivot shoe? Something is preventing spiral from rewinding in tube as you raise window. Before reinstalling balance, hold balance in one hand and with the other hand slide spiral up and down in tube. See if it slides easily.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Can you un-wind the balance? Ten turns is too much and may have ruined them.
A home owner from Boston, MA says:
No, I used 10 turns, according to an online instructional video. When I remove the balance I can feed the spiral all the way back in but it binds a little at points.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.