SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Original pivot shoe has a metal friction pad

A home owner from Catonsville, MD says:
I recently received my order and have repaired two of my windows so far. The pivot shoe (15-070) fits but I noticed it is not exactly the same as my original pivot shoes. The 15-070 uses a red plastic friction pad to hold the shoe in place when the cam is activated by window rotation. My original uses a metal friction pad.

When I installed the 15-070 (I installed a new pair) a small piece of red plastic broke off of the right side shoe as I was installing the sash. This did not seem to affect the operation of the window so I left it in place but I have a concern that it might fail in the future when I rotate the sash for cleaning.

It was also somewhat difficult to use a screwdriver to rotate the cam of the pivot shoe to lock it in place before attaching the spiral balance. The screwdriver deformed the rectangular opening in the cam into which the pivot bar fits. I think any screwdriver would do this as the force applied to the metal screwdriver will deform the plastic of cam. I suggest you modify pivot bar 26-077 to use as a tool to rotate the cam of pivot shoe 15-070 without damage to the rectangular opening in the cam.

FYI, I placed another order this evening for more pivot shoes and bars. It seems my sashes may not be staying up due to broken pivot shoes, not broken balances. Feel free to contact me if you need to follow up on the broken pivot shoe.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
To answer the first question. The red break pad might have just jumped off and not broke. That happens sometimes.

Your second question about the screw driver. I always do it that way, try a larger screw driver so that it will not twist in the cut out. Your suggestion about modifying a pivot in some type of handle to use is a good idea and some servicemen do it that way, but that is when you are doing a lot of repairs.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)