SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Painting a Wright storm door

A home owner from Maryland says:
I believe we have a wright storm door--double doors with full glass--but the door paint has scratches and has faded. Can the door be painted? What prep work needs to be done and what paint as this is a metal door frame. Door works fine just doesn't look good. Any help is appreciated. TJ
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting. A few years back I changed the color of my house trim from white to green and did not want to purchase a new storm door. To get started you should first dull the existing finish on the door by lightly sanding and cleaning off the dust and dirt. The type of paint I used was a good latex exterior house and trim paint. I believe it was either an egg shell or satin finish. I brushed it on with a good brush not one of the foam type. The paint has held up well even though I get a lot of afternoon sun on that side of the house. I suggest contacting a paint store in your area and get their thoughts on painting a storm door. Hope this helps!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)