SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Parts Inquiry

A quick learner from Pasco says:
have a question about drilling into our window frames. I found PPG's info on our sliding glass door but cant find info on our windows so im just assuming our windows are also made by PPG. We successfully drilled and installed a pin lock into our patio door and are wanting to do the same for all windows. However we dont want to shatter the glass. How far in does the glass go into the frame...where would be safe to drill thru the inside and outside frame. I can send pictures of the windows if you like. If this helps, our home was built in 2002 i believe, give or take a year. Built by AHO homes in Pasco WA. I dont know who or how to find out who actually installed our windows. They are sliding and i THINK the frames are vinyl. Any help would be greatly...GREATLY...appreciated!!!
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. If possible, could you send us some photos of where you plan to drill into the sash? That might help us to make recommendations. Also, take a look at our 90-036 and 90-304. This type of lock does not need a hole drilled into the frame since they clip onto the inside edge of the window frame track.
A home owner from Pasco, WA says:
We want to install locks that prevent any kind of liftig of the windows out of their tracks/frames should someone try to break into our home. Here are pictures...if you need better one's, please dont hesitate to let me know! Any help is GREATLY appreciated as i have been trying to get this info for over a week! The picture numbers ending in 851 and 825 show our patio door with the pin lock...endingin 733 and 753 are of our master bedroom window but i think the frames are the same width and such on all our windows.
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
You must make sure not to drill into the glass. There is no exact science to this, but the last thing you want to do is damage your glass.

Look at the glazing bead holding your glass in your sash. If you can see where the glazing bead ends and the sash frame begins, then drill the hole at least 1/8". However, make sure when drilling that both sashes are lined up so that you will be drill into the frame and not the glass on both sashes inside and out. You might want to get a contractor or locksmith to do the drilling for the pins. Glass replacement is very expensive.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)