Patio Door Roller

A handy person from Milton says:
Sent images 15,18, 21, 22 and PDF of dimensions

No brand markings on door or mechanism. Vintage approx 1963 when house was built. Very heavy double glazed 7 foot tall by 39" wide all wood frame.

Unless you have a perfect match to my dimensions,your 81-249 is as close as I could find. I propose to put an aluminum shim into door pocket sized 2.5" long X .375" high X 11/16" wide to compensate for difference in height of the new unit to support the weight of the door.

The other difference I can see is that a new hole for the adjustment screw will need to be drilled. Any problem with that?

Do you feel this is a good quality replacement rather than the Pella?
Roller
Diagram
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Hello! Thanks for posting. We have the authentic 81-098 Pella roller, as well as the generic 81-249. Both more or less work the same, so it would come down to personal preference. Now, can they work ony our door? Yours is very old, but these rollers are the closest match we have. You should try the roller first before you do any adapting to the door by use of a shim or drilling a new hole for the adjustment screw. However, if you take your time and are very careful in drilling and shimming the door and roller, you should be alright.
A quick learner says:
The Pella rollers fit my door WITHOUT modification or any shims. That important dimension is NOT the the height of the case (old was 2",new is 1-11/16) but the distance from the top which sits in the pocket to the bottom of the roller. That dimension is the same in the original roller and the replacements. Fit and worked perfectly.
How to identify patio door rollers
How to identify patio door rollers
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace the pre-701 and 701 Pella patio door roller
How to replace the pre-701 and 701 Pella patio door roller
GUIDE
READ >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.