SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Patio door add key lock

A home owner from USA says:
Add key lock to patio door exterior
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. Please see our 82-021, this looks like a good match. If you're interested in a key lock, you could add our 82-310 to it.
A professional from California says:
If this is an outside slider, you would probably need something similar to 82-308 if you want to use a screen on this door. If you bought 82-308 and drilled a 5/8" hole in your current handle in the right place, that should work. Is the small clip available separately? If so you would just need that and the cylinder (82-310).
A professional from California says:
I have used a scrap piece of stainless steel (from a track cap) bent around the cylinder. It worked just like the one included with 32-308. Drilling the hole in the right place can be tricky. I would hold the pull up to the door with the posts in it (you could even screw it in place) and use the hole in the frame as a template. Drill straight through the frame hole to the outside.
A handy person from Solana Beach, CA says:
Thanks for your response Tom.
As you can see from the photos my door latch is on the left as viewed from the inside. Your 82-021 says it can go on either side of a door but it looks to me like I would have to invert the unit to put it on the left side of the door then the latch would close downward instead of upwards. Hmmmmmmm. Got a lefty 82-021?
Then the comment that the professional brought up, that I need clearance outside to keep the screen door from hitting the new handle that is on the outside and that is also the side I need to be key locked.
As you can see in my photo of the existing door the outside handle is barely protruding from the plane of the door frame. There is only a little over 1/4 inch clearance between the screen door and the main door.
It looks like from the second catalog view of the 82-021 the outside of the unit protrudes one inch.
I need a pretty flat key lock assembly on the outside. Something like the 82-308? Would that work somehow? Any ideas?
Thanks, Bill
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I believe you would need to use the 82-308 for your outside key lock. We also have a black version of the 82-021 with an exterior flush handle: the 82-005. We don't carry either of these handles in an opposite locking version. You might want to get a professional or a locksmith to do the work. It could be a little tricky, as you don't want to damage the door or the glass.
A professional from CA says:
The latch will work either way and is easily reversible if you want it to hook up. The only advantage to pointing the hook up is that someone can't lift the hook over the strike. With this style, the tab prevents this up or down.
you would just need a bent metal bracket and the cylinder (82-310). A thin strip of stainless sheet will hold the cylinder and prevent it from pushing into the frame. See my comments above. The hard part is getting the hole in the outside pull in the right place. If it sounds difficult, consult a pro.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)