SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Patio door handle

A quick learner from California says:
The original door handle already had walnut/dark finish stain and it is flush to the wood frame part of the sliding door. The part sent that I am returning, is very close but not quite the right one and we can't make it work. If we can find the right replacement handle we will actually will be replacing all of the handles in both of our condos.
Thanks and I hope you can help.
Lisa
User submitted photos of patio door handles.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting. Check out our 82-035 and see if you can use this as a replacement.
A quick learner from Sliding door handle says:
Hello. The pictures I sent are two different sliding doors in our condo that show one of the handles that is broken. The part I'm returning is the #82-035 which is not the right one as I only need a "one sided" handle. Just like the ones pictured above that do not have a back attachment. I hope that makes sense. My Dad and I tried but could not make the part which I'm returning work even though it appears to look just like it. Hope you can help!
Thanks,
Lisa
Profile picture of Dave
I am a little confused, actually. I'm not sure what you mean when you mention a back attachment. Can you clarify? Why exactly prevented the 82-035 from working?
There is a separate part that is fastened onto the main handle by the 2 screws included that is not on our original handles we are trying to replace. Our handles are all one piece from the metal part that attaches onto the wood sliding door frame to the wooden handle. There appears to be no way to affix #82-035 to the wood sliding doors we have. If it helps, the door handle needed is only to open from the interior, not the exterior of the sliding door.

My Dad said that he replaced one of the handles a long time ago successfully, but he is quite elderly now so I'm trying to help him out.

Thanks, Lisa
Profile picture of Dave
Could I see a picture of the outside of this patio door? I think I understand what you mean, I just want to confirm. Thanks!
HI. I'm not at the condo anymore and won't be going back for about 2 weeks. I'll have to send a picture of the back of the handle then. I knew I should have taken a picture of that! Hope you will remember our conversation and you can finally help me narrow down the right one!
Thanks again,
Lisa
Profile picture of Dave
No problem, Lisa. Let us know whenever you get a chance.
Hello its me again about the sliding door handles we need to replace. I have the broken piece with me and the part says SASH CONTROLSINC on the inside of the broken part and there is a number that says 1255. If you look at the previous pictures I sent before this email, the picture on the left is the broken handle we want to replace and the one on the right is not broken. I'm sending another picture of the broken piece and you can see where the wooden handle is missing on the left and the piece has cracked down the center.
Hope this info helps and we can get this ordered.
Lisa
User submitted a photo of a patio door handle.
Profile picture of Dave
Thanks for getting back to us, Lisa. I'm afraid the only possible match we have is our 82-035. I don't understand why it did not work for your patio door, to be honest. I've used it to replace this handle myself in the past. You have the old Sash Control #1255, which is no longer manufactured. These patio door handles go with a type of inside mortise latch similar to our 82-218. Keep in mind that the thumb lever on the 82-035 can be adjusted to different positions, including the middle like your own.
Hello. My Dad and I did some more research and it looks like the part # 82-031 might be the right one except we need it in a dark stain finish if available. If not we would take the whit ones and need about 4 of them to start with. Can you check it out and look at the photos again that I sent. We want to order them asap.
Lisa
Profile picture of Dave
The 82-031 is not available in darker colors itself, but we do have interchangeable handle sets that do. See our 82-020 and 82-033.
Hi Dave
I'm at work so I will show my Dad the other 2 replacement parts you sent. I think at this point one of those will work fine and it doesn't have to be exact . I'll get back to you when he can make a decision on it. Thanks for all your help!
Lisa
Thanks Dave for your help. We finally ordered 4 of the #82-033 parts. They are not quite the same but fingers crossed they work!
Lisa
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)