SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Patio door handle and mortise lock set

A quick learner from Pittsburgh, PA says:
I purchased a 82-074 handle set but it does not seem to work well with my existing double point mortise lock. Do I need to replace the mortise lock or should I have a different handle set and mortise lock altogether? I'd really like to get a door handle that was keyed. The original was not keyed.The distance between the handles mounting screws is 3 15/16".
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for contacting us. Can you go into more detail on how the 82-074 didn't work? I'm wondering if your original handle was fine, and if just the mortise lock was broken. One way to test that is to remove the handle completely and to attempt to throw the mortise manually with a flat head screwdriver, or a similar tool. Let me know!
A professional from California says:
Is it the angle of the picture or are the 2 hooks protruding differently? There is adjustment for that above the top and below the bottom hook. That might be the problem. ??
A quick learner from Pittsburgh, PA says:
I tried the screwdriver and it was very tight. When trying to lock or unlock it, it's very, very hard if you can even get the door opened. And there's a ton of play in the lock device before it turns.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I agree with Tom. If the new handle lines up to your patio door then the problem could be in the mortise lock. It could be worn and need replacement or simply adjusted to better meet the strike plate in the jamb.

Like the professional from California mentioned, you can adjust the lock by turning the small slot head screws that are shown in your photo just above the hook at the top and just below the hook at the bottom. If adjusting the lock doesn't help, then it may be time to replace it. Take a look at our 82-265 to see if it lines up with your existing hardware.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)