SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Patio door is aluminum, cannot remove

A quick learner says:
Several days ago I ordered 14 of your part 81-005 Sliding Door Rollers. My doors have roller number 6049 from Allen Stevens Corp. The doors are estimated to be 25 to 30 years old.

I watched your video about replacing rollers, but that was a vinyl door with an access hatch in the bottom of the door. My doors are aluminum, and I found it very difficult to remove the sample roller in preparation for finding a replacement.

More specifically, I worked my door in the vertical position by first removing the side frame-member then trying to pull the roller assembly out from the end of the bottom frame-member. I had to severely distort the lower frame flanges with a steel wedge before the "Flares" on the roller assembly cleared enough to be extracted.

There must be a better way. Can you help?

Thanks, AL
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Al, hopefully I can help. After removing the sliding glass door, place it on two saw horses or large table. Unscrew the frame screws on each side at the bottom of the door. With a block of wood and hammer, tap the bottom door frame from the glass. Now, with a friend helping you out (or a vise), spread the frame to knock out the bottom roller assembly. It isn't easy, but that is how most service people remove these old rollers.
A home owner from Massachusetts says:
Dave,

The method you described sounds like it should work. I won't be returning to my doors for another month, but will try what you described.

Thanks for your reply. (I read it much earlier, but didn't take the time to thank you for it. Here's the thanks.)

AL
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
It was my pleasure! Let me know how it works out.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)