SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Patio sliding glass door handle

A home owner from USA says:
Please help I'm trying to replace a broken door handle on my aluminum sliding glass door. I was told that it is not an Anderson door and was installed in the 1970s. I have tried Ace hardware, Home Depot, Lowes, and a specialty hardware store in my town over the course of the year and no one has been able to help me.

When I bought a door handle that is 3 16/17 the doorhandle fit but the lock latch does not reach the catch in the doorjamb. Also the doorhandle I installed broke because I was told it wasn't the right door handle and then I would have trouble finding one. Ideally I would like a nice modern looking doorhandle stainless steel sleek and with a lock. at minimum I just need a door handle that will fit and be a proper fit for my door.

Thank you! Denise
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I think our 82-003 lock set could be worth looking into. It has the same 3-15/16" hole spacing. Check the inside hook on your existing handle to be sure that it matches ours. I'm afraid we only have this in black.
A professional from California says:
If I understand correctly, the handle shown is not the original handle. Is this the one that broke because it was not the right one? Did the pictured handle ever work?
A quick learner from vineland, nj says:
correct, the handle shown is NOT the original handle and it DID end up breaking because the screws kept loosening up since it was not a proper fit in the first place...now I have NO handle and my kids have a hard time sliding open the door using the frame since there is no handle...help! :c

Part of the problem is that I would like to be able to lock it, and because the frame is 2 inches wide, the latch doesn't reach to the catch in the door frame...is there any where the catch is longer than 7/8 inch? I was told they don't make the frame that wide any more so that's why the catch for the lock wont reach...is that true?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
You could have an older thermal break aluminum patio door. These are thicker than the normal 1" thick patio door. I have a few suggestions that might work, but there are no guarantees that they will work. Take a look at our 82-003, 82-303, and 82-248. The latch hook on the 82-248 could work, but you might be able to reuse the latch hook from the old lock you are trying to replace. Take a look and see what you think.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)