SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Pella Patio door seals

A home owner from Michigan says:
This appears to be a good replacement for the seals on my Pella sliding patio door in terms of size. The current seals on the horizontal sides (top and bottom) has a very stiff kerf piece, presumably to help keep in in place when the door slides against it. Do you think this seal will work or is there a better part?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I can't say for sure, I don't know what you have installed now. Could you remove a small sample and show us a picture of it from the end? For reference, we need to see your seal from the same angle which we show our 58-153. Can you also confirm your dimensions? Pella usually has very specific parts, and since 58-153 is not a genuine Pella product I'm not sure if it will work.
It looks identical to your P/N 58-153, including the measurements. The potential difference is that the main support piece for the barbs (the vertical piece in the above picture) is a fairly stiff plastic. This piece of weatherstrip is on the top and bottom of a sliding patio door. The stiff barb support would make it next to impossible for the weatherstrip to be pulled out by the sliding door. I suspect yours may work but there would be the possibility that the door could pull it out if it stuck to the door.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
The kerf mount used on the 58-153 has a stiff nylon center with rubber-like bars. It's a little more flexible than what you might have but it's still designed to stay in place once installed.
Sounds like it will work just fine. I will be ordering enough to do 2 door walls!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)