SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

replacement spiral balances and pivot shoes on tilt window

A landlord from New Jersey says:

I would like to replace the spiral balances and the pivot shoes on a tilt window. The spiral balances are 5/8" (9/16"), 27" with a red tip.

The problem I'm having is that I cannot pull the window out after I unlock it and tilt it. Looking at the picture, please let me know if there's anything else I need to do to remove the window. Also, please let me know if you can identify the type of pivot shoe from the picture. This is for a bottom sash and there is a cut out in top of the frame where I can remove the pivot shoes, but first, I need to be able to remove the window sash.

I did try to pull up one side of the tilted sash but it does not move at all. How much force should I use? or maybe there is a different locking mechanism in the pivot shoe that needs to be released before the sash can be removed?

Thank you
Anthony D
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Anthony. There isn't anything extra you have to do to remove the sash. After you raise it up a few inches and tilt it in, you should be able to just twist it out. See the video below for a visual example.
As for the pivot shoe, once you have it removed please tell me its width and thickness and we can recommend a match.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)