SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Pivot Shoe & Spiral Balance

A home owner from Texas says:
I need a 3/8" thick pivot shoe. It looks like your number 15-045 should do the trick. You recommend the 900 series spiral balances which are 3/8". I have 5/8" balances now with a black tip. The window weighs 13 pounds. My question is should I use your 900 series balance and what tip or can I use your 600 series balance (also what tip) with this shoe?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
No, if you have 5/8" diameter tilt window balances you should use our Series 600. Can you confirm that you have the 15-045 pivot shoe? If you can, remove it from the window and show me a few pictures of it. Please also give me its width and thickness.

You should also confirm the weight of your window sash, or the color of your tip. A black tip is for exceptionally heavy windows, and 13 pounds is relatively light.
A home owner from Fort Worth says:
Pictures attached. Sorry they are 3/8" tilt window balances. The sash is 13#'s.
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you. I recommend our S900-29 spiral balance with a red tip (for sashes weighing 10 through 22 pounds). For your pivot lock shoe, consider our 15-212. The center cam should accept your pivot bar, and the dimensions seem to match.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)