SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Pivot bar

A handy person from Lemoore, Ca. says:
I have ordered the new pivot bars and read about how to access the pin holding it in place, but my windows have rusted bolts holding the sash together and I have been using WD 40 for several days with no improvement. I am thinking of purchasing an impact driver but wonder about replacement screws. Do you know if the screw holding the sash frame is a standard screw that can be replaced easily? I don't want to destroy the screw then find out I cannot replace it. I can get the window in and out without working pivot bars, but it is hard.

Suggestions?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Concerning how easy it would be to replace the screw, it really depends on what kind of pivot bar you have. If possible, I'd like to see a picture or two of your window and pivot bar to get some idea of what you need.

To give some general tips, what I have done in the past was to cut a slot into the screw head so that I can try to get at it with a flat head screwdriver. I have also used a little heat to soften the frame a bit to make it easier, but I would advise against this. Too much exposure to heat could permanently damage the window frame. I've only done this in a desperate, last ditch effort, and even then I didn't like having to resort to it.

For the screw itself, normally screws which hold the frame together are #8 Phillips screws. Word to the wise, check to see if you do in fact have a screwed together frame and not a welded frame. That could make a big difference, too.
A quick learner from Lemoore, Ca says:
Thanks for the advice. I was able to get the screw removed with an impact driver; manual, not a souped up drill, and took it to the hardware store. It is not an 8 or a 10 but appears to be a 9. Purchased some replacements and some naval jelly. Went back together very well, except I will have to take it apart again to replace the springs once I find them. The pivot bar is the 26-375 for the Better Bilt, but the 3/16 spring was to small. While at the hardware store I purchased some 3/32 springs but they are just a bit to large. You don't appear to have any other springs, correct?

I am perhaps one of the few people without a mobile phone and camera so pictures are tough. But the window looks like many of the Better Bilt already submitted to this discussion.

Thanks for the ideas.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Great! Glad you were able to get it out. As for the spring, we don't really have anything else that can work for this pivot bar, unfortunately. The 26-016 is what's recommended by the manufacturer, but it's starting to become clear that you have a bit of a special case. You may need to do some hunting to find a spring that will work in your circumstance.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)