SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Pivot shoe

A home owner from USA says:
i need a pivot shoe. i saw on line, 15-045. this looks same as mine, but mine is 2 1/4 high, this one is 2" high. does that make a difference.

Also, i probably need the jamb spreader, but it is expensive. any alternative. do you rent them?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Don't worry, height doesn't matter when it comes to pivot shoes. The vital dimensions are the width and thickness.

We don't rent the jamb spreader tool, but there is another way to replace the the pivot shoe if you're in dire straits. Assuming you're working with the bottom sash, remove it and the balance. At the very top of the window track, cut out a small hole. You only want to cut just enough to remove and re-install the pivot shoe. Now place a flat head screw driver inside the cam and turn it to unlock the shoe and bring it up to the hole you just made, and replace the balance and sash. For the top sash, you would cut the bottom window track instead.

Just be very careful when you cut! Be patient and and precise and you'll be done in no time.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)