SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Pivot shoe identification

A quick learner from New York says:
Attached is a photo of the part that I'm looking for:

Dimensions are 2" high, 1 1/4" wide, and 5/8" deep, though it might be a little taller as some of the top got crunched.

I'm also wondering how I attach it to the little rope inside the metal spring bar housing.

Basically, there's a spring inside a 3-sided long metal box, and it connects to a pulley that has a set of little ropes leading to a metal clip-- it isn't clear how I get the clip into the metal bar at the top of the pivot shoe.

Thanks to your awesome website and videos, I've identified the long metal box as a channel balance marked 43D
User submitted a photo of a pivot shoe.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! I think you might want to look at our 15-047 pivot shoe and see how that compares to your shoe.

As for attaching the clip, you would simply slide the string itself into the slot. The metal clip acts like an anchor, making sure that the string doesn't shoot back up.
A quick learner says:
Just a heads up:

After destroying two pivot shoes, a channel balance, and my fingers following the method recommended in the video, I decided to do things a little differently the second time. My directions are as follows:

1) Re-install the pivot shoes WITHOUT connecting them.
2) Put a roll of movers wrap (5" diameter, though two phone books would work) through the window to act as a support.
3) Put the window into its track and snap in the top corners. Rest the window on the roll of movers wrap or phone books

4) Hold each pivot shoe and shove the corresponding foot into the hole

5) Tighten the pivot feet screws with an offset screwdriver (has to be short -- there's not a lot of room under the window)

6) Now rotate the window and have a helper hold it

7) Connect the channel balances to the pivot shoes.

This was much easier and safer for large windows than the approach recommended in the videos -- the big channel balances can easily pull the shoes up and destroy them.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)