SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Pivot shoe removal

A home owner from USA says:
Dear Sir. I had Wintech Industries double hung tilt-in vinyl windows installed in 1997. I need to remove pivot shoes. The side jambs/rails have no cut outs. I tried your 75-069 jamb spreaders with no luck. Vinyl jambs are too ridge. Do you recommend I cut out a portion of the jamb to remove the pivot shoe? Any other suggestions? Your assistance is appreciated. Great website, video's, etc. Thanks, Ron
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hmm... before we start making any cut-outs, can we see a few pictures of the track itself? If we can take a look at it, we can determine whether or not you could use a heat gun or hair dryer to soften the track.
A quick learner from Vienna, VA says:
Paul, attached are a few pictures showing the jamb. Hope this helps you. If you need anything else please advise. Ron
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Ah yes, I see what you mean. Alright, I think at this point you might want to consider creating cut out yourself. Since you're working with the bottom sash, I would make the cut out at the top of window channel. Now, making your own cut out isn't the most recommended course of action. There is a chance you can cause damage to the window or you might even hurt yourself. It's really a last-ditch project when all other options have failed. If you choose to do it, make sure to be very careful. You are cutting rigid vinyl and safety has to be paramount. It might be best if you have a local handy person familiar with this kind of project come out and do it for you.

After you get the pivot shoe out, check the dimensions. It could be either our 15-047 or 15-121.
A quick learner from Vienna, VA says:
Paul, I just wanted you to know my son was able to make the jamb spreaders work fine. Pivot shoes came out easily. New ones work great. My son also used your tool to tighten the sprial balances. Thanks for all you help. Ron
Profile picture of Paul
Great news! Glad to hear everything worked out.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)