SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Please recommend spiral balances

A home owner from Bristol, Tn. says:
Long story as to why, but I need everything balance wise for one existing non-tilt window. Two balance units. The window is 17 lbs., 44" wide and 28" tall. Each edge is grooved 1/2" wide and 3/4" deep top to bottom. Previous balances had two small plates that nailed into the wooden groove. These will be removed. Can you recommend models, clips, and a tool?

Thank you,
Sam
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Sam. The charging tool is easy, check out our 75-005. As for the clips, you could consider something like our 17-007 or 17-012 as possible replacements. I'm not so sure about your balance, though. I can't determine what you need based on that information. I see you were looking at our S400-26, though. Is that the Series and length you need?
A quick learner says:
What would you recommend for a 28" tall window weighing 17 pounds, not to exceed 1/2" in width?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Well, it's hard to judge what you need based on that information. Do you have any of the old balances handy? We would need to know the diameter and length of the tube.
A quick learner says:
Let's see... the title above says "Please Recommend Spiral Balances". I was clear that we are going from scratch, right? Was I clear as to window weight? I see from all the charts that this is relevant. And it is 28" tall, which means that it raises about 25" max...

But I know nothing about the new balances. My old ones were from 1950, were totally contained in the window frame, were built of a spiraling piece of flat metal on which a bracket attached to the window frame made it spin. It mounted in a round hole on the bottom whch spun freely and the top inserted into a hex hole so that it was locked into place, tightening the internal spring. I have searched for an exact replacement and can find nothing like that. So I decided to consult with the experts... Is that you?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see. We didn't know that your windows didn't have spiral balances originally. I guess that long story would have been worth it! This changes things.

What you are describing sounds like a clock spring balance. This was one of the balance systems used in the 50's, like yours. The system I think you should consider is our Series 500. This is very poplar with wood windows as long as the sashes are routed out to fit the balance tubes. In your case, I recommend a 26" tube with a red tip. That would be our S500-26. I also recommend the 17-012 bracket and our non-tilt window spiral balance charging tool, 75-005.
A home owner says:
Thanks for that... but, I think we overlooked the 1/2" groove I'm working with. Is there an equivalent to this model in the 3/8" tube? Would that be acceptable? Still 26" and still red tip?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Sure, that'd be our Series 400. Two S400-26 spiral balances (which have a 3/8" diameter) with a Red Tip carry a window sash weight of 10 through 22 pounds, while two of these with a Green Tip carry 14 through 26 pounds. Either can likely work for your sash weight, it's just a matter of preference. Just remember that the Green Tip will be stronger, though that doesn't automatically make it better. For the brackets, you can instead use our 17-030 or 17-031. You can still use 75-005 charging tool.
A quick learner says:
Thank you for the help...

Sam
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)