SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Problem with weatherstripping gap due to settling foundation

A quick learner from Williamstown, NJ says:
Combined problem. I have a 35+ year old metal door with original mag weather stripping which is shot. I just purchased 58-056, installed it and it works great except for one problem. Over the years the door/foundation has settled so the door gap gets bigger as you move up from bottom to top. Here's the problem: plenty of compression on the bottom but the gap is so large at the top of door the seal does not compress. Here are some pic's. There is one extreme close-up. So my question is if I install the magnetic type strip is there enough movement that the mag strip will expand enough to contact the metal door and create a seal.

Thanks! -Danny
User submitted image of their weatherstripping.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Danny. Funnily enough, I had the same problem with my own front door a few years back. What I did was reset the door frame. This required having to pull out some nails and removing some screws before I could square up the frame. It's a little bit of a job, so you might want to bring in a carpenter or contractor to do the work.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)