SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Problems with 82-073 Legacy set

A landlord from Chesterfield, VA says:
I recently purchased this lock set. First of all the inside locking lever is extremely tight. This is acceptable but I wonder if there is some adjustment that I can do to loosen this.
Also, when locking from the outside with the key, turning the key to lock the door works, but you cannot remove the key. Turning the key back to the position where the key can be removed, unlocks the door. Is this normal operation? In other words, must the door be locked from the inside and only unlocked with the key?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Hmm... let's start with the tightness in the turn lever first. There are a couple possibilities. The ones that come to mind are that the mounting screws could be too tight, the locking keeper in the jamb needs to be adjusted to meet the mortise lock, or that the mortise lock itself could be worn. A good way to test this out is to remove the handle set from the door and try to manually activate the mortise lock with a screwdriver. If you feel the same tightness, then this part is definitely the culprit and will likely need to be replaced.

As for the problem with the key, that's usually caused by the gear timing being off. This is simply a matter of installing it correctly. You may have run into a snag when installing it the first time, so I would remove everything and give it another shot. Take a look at the related videos if you haven't already, they should help you out.
A professional from CA says:
The key problem usually means that the tail needs to be turned a different direction while installing it.
Sometimes it helps to put the handle together while the lock is in the latched position.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)