SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Pushing down on 40-043 locks door?

A home owner from Wisconsin says:
I have a question. I put the one door handle on. When I open the door pushing down on the handle from the outside....it locks the door on the inside. If I pull up on the handle I can just get in. Why would pushing down on the handle lock the door?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting.

I personally took one of our 40-043 Storm Door Handle Sets and have been trying to duplicate what you're saying your lock is doing, to no avail.

When the door handle is turned, the inside spindle turns slightly and actually pushes into the inside latch to open the door. It's when you turn the key that the spindle turns completely and locks the handle.

The first thing its to make sure you're installing the handle correctly, and that the holes are the correct size and placement.

Are you replacing an original handle that was on your door or is this for a new application? What is the thickness of your door?
A quick learner from Kenosha says:
This is a replacement for the original handle. Everything works fine...except I have to open the door by pulling up on the handle rather than pressing down as this automatically moves the lock and locks the door leaving me unable to gain access without the key.
A quick learner from Kenosha says:
By the way...my handle is on the left rather than on the right.
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for your patience.

I spoke with one of our door experts, and here are a few things to note:

The spindle may be dragging on the hole that was drilled, therefore dragging on the edge of the door and activating the inside locking mechanism.

The spindle may be too long, causing the door to collapse.

Loosen the screws and move the lock around a bit. You may have to file down the spindle a bit if you're still noticing a problem.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)